The Counselor’s Guide to the Brain and Its Disorders
Written byEd Welch
- How can we know when a problem is physical or spiritual?
- What does the brain actually do, and what happens when it is not working well?
- How can we better understand those who have brain injuries?
- When should we refer people to physicians?
- What are chemical imbalances and what should we know about psychoactive medication?
These and many similar questions are addressed by this ebook.*
This counselor’s guide ebook* presents clear and accurate information about the body and brain so that two extremes can be avoided: the assumption that human behavior is simply and comprehensively an act of the will unaffected by brain/body/chemical mechanisms and, on the other side, the assumption that human behavior is essentially biological functioning that is exclusively dictated by brain/chemical mechanisms.
This resource is a handbook for Christian counselors of all sorts to explain the functions of the brain and to provide a framework for counseling and pastoral care that is thoroughly biblical and also sensitive to the complexities of physical existence.
*Note: This resource comes in downloadable PDF format.
Publication Year: 2015
Format: Digital eBook (PDF)
Chapter 1 - The Bible and the Brain Sciences
Part 1 - Biblical and Medical Background
Chapter 2 - Biblical Foundations
Chapter 3 - Biological Foundations
Chapter 4 - The Brain and Behavior
Chapter 5 - Diagnostic Instruments
Part 2 - Diseases that Affect Intellect, Mood, and Behavior
Chapter 6 - Must-Know Diseases
Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia
Parkinson's Disease and Related Disorders
Seizures and Epilepsy
Female Hormonal Changes
Part 3 - Misdiagnosis: Counseling Problems with Medically Treatable Causes
Chapter 7 - The #1 Problem: Licit and Illicit Drugs
Chapter 8 - Medical Reasons for Psychiatric Problems
- Bipolar Disorder and Mania
Chapter 9 - Other Masquerading Symptoms
- Impotence, Frigidity and Other Sexual Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Tremors, Tics and Other Changes in Body Movement
Chapter 10 - Avoiding Misdiagnosis
Chapter 11 - Final Thoughts