Working Marriages (Aaron Sironi)
Marriage has a purpose and bears a Creator’s design. Because this is true, our first and best place to seek wisdom for marriage and marriage counseling is to ask faithful questions of God’s Word. “What are God’s aims for every marriage?” “What is the significance of ‘one flesh,’ and how does this shape the focus of counseling?” “What are the essential qualities of a couple’s life together?” This seminar will develop a rich biblical theology of Christian marriage while dovetailing directly into marriage counseling applications and methodology.
From a Distance: How Remote Connection is Expanding the Biblical Counseling World (Cecelia Bernhardt, Jonathan Holmes, and Featured Speakers)
Due to the impact of the pandemic on society, the practice of remote counseling has exploded over this past year. A team of biblical counseling leaders will each speak briefly about different aspects of remote counseling, including the difference in process, remote counselor care, and how to prepare for the future. Jonathan Holmes (Fieldstone Counseling, OH) and Cecelia Bernhardt (CCEF) will introduce each speaker and facilitate discussion among the group.
- Andrew Dealy, Austin Stone Counseling Center, TX
- Cache Barnes, Redemption: Twin Cities, MN
- Eliza Huie, McLean Bible Church, VA
- Jacklyn Tubel, Hope Counseling Services, NC
- Laura Andrews, CCEF
- Tim St. John, Lighthouse Community Church, CA
Protecting the Vulnerable (Julie Lowe)
Situations of abuse generate a wide range of emotions– from outrage and a demand for justice to fear, shame, and disbelief. It can be challenging to respond well. But when abuse is brought to our attention, we must work hard not to respond based on emotion or personal bias. We should act wisely, justly, and deliberately. It is far better to be proactive in our care, rather than reactive. Doing so is not only a legal mandate, it is a moral and biblical one as well. This precon will explore ways the Church can both prevent abuse, especially child abuse, and respond wisely when abuse takes place.
Counseling Methodology in Biblical Counseling: Pursuing Excellence and Effectiveness (Todd Stryd)
Pursuing excellence in counseling ministry entails thinking intentionally about what we do in the counseling room. This session will consider both the biblical framing of counseling methodology as well as offer an introduction to some of the more important methodological components of effective counseling ministry. The session format will go back and forth between Dr. Stryd's presentation of material and practicing the material with a partner through role-play.
The Pre-Conference will be held in-person on Thursday, October 7, 2021, from 9:00am – 5:00pm. Full day tickets (2 sessions + boxed lunch) and half day tickets (1 session + boxed lunch) are available.
- This event is in-person only. These sessions will not be livestreamed.
- Registration is available until 11:59pm (PST), Tuesday, October 5th.
- Refunds, minus a $20 administrative fee (per ticket) are available through Friday, September 3rd, 2021. To request a refund, please contact customer service at [email protected]
- National Conference registration is not included in Pre-Conference registration. Please register separately for the National Conference (www.ccef.org/2021).
- Recordings will not be available for purchase or download after the conference.