Dear CCEF conference attendees,
Hosting the Side by Side conference is a significant step for us as a ministry. It expresses our vision for wise counseling to become one of every church’s core ministries. I hope and trust that our days together will be significant for you also. I hope and trust that the teaching and fellowship will bear fruit in the body of Christ where you worship and serve. God lovingly engages us in our weakness, sustaining and strengthening his children. And we lovingly engage our brothers and sisters in their need—this is the power of Christ, the foolishness that shames the wise.
We have been praying that our time together will be rich personally and will prove fruitful for your ability to help others. As you prepare, consider reading through Psalm 25. Notice the honesty. Notice how faith anchors in who God is. Notice the awareness of God’s personal counsel—verse 14 literally means “secret counsel” or “intimate friendship.” Notice in the end how faith amid personal struggles settles in, and then branches out in concern for the needs of others.
Be praying not only for yourself, but also for others who attend, for people you might meet, and for staff and speakers who will be serving you.
Our Events team has put together a list of important details below to help prepare you for the conference. Please read them carefully, and send any questions you may have to [email protected].
Conference details as you plan your trip to Virginia Beach:
- Airport shuttle—If you are flying to Norfolk Airport, you may reserve a shuttle through Orange Peel Transportation. Be sure to mention CCEF to receive the discounted rate. The discounted cost per person is $50 round trip, and takes about 25 minutes. Taxis and rental cars are also available.
- Location—Our conference will be held at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, 1000 19th Street, Virginia Beach, VA 23451.
- Parking—Convention Center parking is free and is located in front of the Convention Center.
- Conference shuttle—Continuous shuttle service between the Convention Center and the five official conference hotels will be provided. Nametags should be worn for access to the shuttles. Shuttles will be clearly marked and will depart every 30 minutes from the Convention Center on the hour and half hour. A full schedule will be available to you onsite at each hotel and at the Convention Center.
Pre-conference registration opens Thursday, October 15, at 8:00 a.m. in the foyer outside Hall A at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
For those who are not attending pre-conference seminars, conference registration will be open on Thursday evening from 5:30-7:30 p.m., and again at 7:30 a.m. on Friday. In order to avoid long lines, please plan to pick up your registration materials on Thursday if your schedule allows. Materials will be arranged alphabetically by last name.
- Schedule—Click here to view or print a copy of the conference. There is no need to pre-select breakout sessions. Seating is first-come first-served. There may be limited seating in some breakout rooms, but please know that there will always be ample seating available in the breakout session held in the Ballroom.
- Outlines—Click here to view or print a copy of available session outlines. Please note that we will not have print copies onsite for most sessions, so please print in advance if you’d like to have them with you.
- Wifi—Free for all attendees in Convention Center with password CCEF2015.
- Special events
If you are a pastor or ministry leader, please join us on Saturday morning at 7:30 a.m. for a hot breakfast with Ed Welch to discuss side-by-side ministries in your church. Seating is limited, so please reserve your seat here.
If you are a graduate of Westminster Theological Seminary (Philadelphia), or are interested in attending Westminster as a student, you are invited to a Westminster alumni dinner on Saturday evening at 5:00 p.m. Please register here.
If you are a professional or licensed counselor, social worker, or therapist, please join us for coffee and bagels on Sunday morning at 8:00 a.m. This hour-long time together will provide discussion on how conference presentations relate to specific issues you face in your practice. For states that have approved CEUs, this time counts for 1.0 unit. Please register here.
- Meals—Thursday’s pre-conference seminars include a free boxed lunch. For other meals, there are a variety of local restaurant options available, which you can review here. Coffee will be served Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning, along with special dessert receptions on Friday and Saturday evening.
- CCEF booth—Located in the foyer, we invite you to stop by the CCEF booth to meet CCEF staff and counselors, learn about ministry partnerships, and learn about our many ministry resources.
- Ministry expo & bookstore—Over 25 ministries and schools will be present at the conference this year. Westminster Books will run the CCEF bookstore. Please plan to visit the ministry expo and bookstore throughout the weekend for many helpful resources.
- Conference app—Download the free CCEF conference app to help you navigate the weekend (schedules, speaker bios, locations, etc.). You can download the free app by visiting the Apple or Google app stores and searching “CCEF.”
- Dress code—Dress comfortably and casually for all conference events and activities.
- Weather—The forecast in Virginia Beach calls for mild temperatures in the mid-60s. The Convention Center may be cool, so make sure to pack what will help you stay comfortable.
We are praying for our time together to be rich in fellowship and learning. We look forward to seeing you soon!
The CCEF Events team